Pembroke and Cardigan corgi are dwarf dog breeds sharing some of the common features of dog breed Dachshunds.
They are both corgi-type dogs. Both they worked with farmers to take the cattle to grazing land and to guard the barnyard.
They both have rounded ears, double coats, large heads with heavy long bodies, short, thick legs. However, the two dog breeds are different from each other.
So, what is the main difference between Pembroke and cardigan corgi? Pembroke is quite smaller while cardigan corgi is comparatively larger.
This article gives more details on the differences between Pembroke and Cardigan corgi. You will also get to learn more about their similarities.
Comparison Table (Pembroke vs. Cardigan Corgi)
|It is smaller in body size.
|It is comparatively larger in body size.
|It originated in Pembrokeshire, Wales.
|It originated in Cardiganshire, Wales.
|It is shorter.
|It is longer.
|It has straight legs.
|It has bowed legs.
|It has smaller and more pointed ears.
|It has large ears which are not pointed.
|They are not calm.
|They are calmer.
|It may be black, tan, fawn, red, and sable with white markings on the chest, legs, neck, and face.
|It exists in black, red, sable, and brindle with white areas on the chest, face, neck, and tail tip.
|It has a short to medium-length coat, an undercoat, and a courser outer coat.
|It has a double coat of medium length.
|It needs routine grooming.
|It needs low to moderate grooming.
|The tail is short and docked.
|The tails are long and thick.
What is Pembroke?
Pembroke is considered a branch of the cardigan corgi family. It is also known as Pembroke Welsh corgi. It originated in Pembrokeshire, Welsh.
The breed was primarily used as cattle driving dogs and watchdogs. At present, they are valued as the best companion due to their loyalty.
An adult may weigh 13.5kg while an adult female weighs 12.5 kg. The coat is short to medium in length and it comprises an undercoat and coarse outer coat.
The coat color may be black, tan, fawn, red, or sable with white markings on the face, chest, legs, and neck.
They have pointed and erected ears. Their bodies are long with short legs. Their tails are short and docked. The breed is loud, attentive alarm barkers and they are good for the house due to their friendly and intelligent behavior.
What is Cardigan Corgi?
It is also known as Cardigan Welsh corgi. It originated in Cardiganshire in Welsh. It is believed that it has common ancestry with the Dachshund breed as they share most characteristics.
It was initially used as a guard dog and cattle driving dogs and also as pest hunter’s dogs. At present they are the best companion dogs due to their unique physical characteristics and some outstanding behavior such as intelligence, quick learning ability, and activeness.
They have double coats of medium length. The coat color may be black, red, sable, and brindle with white markings on the chest, legs, face, neck, and the tip of the tails.
They are sturdy and agile due to their long bodies and short legs. Their tails are long and thick. They need moderate exercise and low to moderate grooming is needed.
Main Difference between Pembroke and Cardigan Corgi
- Pembroke has a short and docked tail while cardigan corgi has a long and thick tail.
- Pembroke needs routine grooming while cardigan corgi needs low to moderate grooming.
- Pembroke has short to medium-length coats while cardigan corgi has medium-length coats.
- Pembroke’s coat color may be black, fawn, red, and sable with white markings on the face, neck, legs, and chest while cardigan corgi’s coat color may be black, red, sable, and brindle with white markings on the face, chest, legs, neck, and the tip of the tail.
- Pembroke is not calm while cardigan corgi is calmer.
- Pembroke has small and more pointed ears while cardigan corgi has large but not pointed ears.
- Pembroke originated in Pembrokeshire while cardigan corgi originated in Cardiganshire.
- Pembroke is smaller in body size while cardigan corgi is comparatively larger in body size.
Similarities between Pembroke and Cardigan Corgi
- They both have double coats.
- Both have white markings.
- Both have long bodies with short legs.
- Both have coarse outer coats.
- Both have a common ancestry.
- Both belong to the same family.
- They both originated in Wales.
Pembroke and Cardigan corgi has a common ancestry which is dachshunds. Both belong to the Corgi family and they all originated in Wales.
The main difference between the two can be identified by looking at their body size and ears. Pembroke is small in body size and has small and erect ears while cardigan corgi is comparatively larger in body size and has larger ears but they are not erect.
More Sources and References: