Wolves and wolverine have some close similarities. It is the reason behind the confusion among many people.
So, what is the main difference between wolf and wolverine? A wolf is the largest canid common in forest areas while the wolverine is the largest weasel common in arctic places like the northern hemisphere.
You May Also Like: Difference between Male and Female Praying Mantis
Comparison Table (Wolf vs Wolverine)
|Definition||It is the largest canid||It is the largest weasel|
|Location||North America, North Africa, and Eurasia||Northern Canada, North America, Siberia, Mongolia, and China|
|Native Habitat||Forest Areas||Colder Areas|
|Lifestyle||Live in packs||Live in segregation|
|Social Behavior||Do not attack each other||Tend to attack each other|
|Unique Features||Longer legs and pricked ears||Shorter legs, round head, neck, and ears|
|Fur Color||Black, brown, white, grey, beige and reddish||Black to dark brown|
|General Size||41-63 in length
32-34 shoulder height
40-175 lbs weight
|25-34 inches in length
7-10 inches height
22-55 lbs weight
|Hunting Style||Chase down the prey and hunt it.||Tend to scavenge. Hence mainly feed on leftovers|
|Speed of Running||Fast||Slowly|
|Gestation Period||62-75 days||30-50 days|
|Number of Pups||5-6 pups||2-3 pups|
Read More: Difference between Chipmunk and Gopher
What Is a Wolf?
This is a wild carnivorous mammal that belongs to the Canidae family. These mammals are quite common in North America, North Africa, and Eurasia.
These creatures hunt and live in packs. The good news is that they are physically fit when it comes to hunting down prey.
The color of the fur highly depends on the habitat. But they most love living in forest areas due to their camouflaging features.
What Is a Wolverine?
This is a dark brown wild animal with shaggy fur and it normally looks like a bear. It belongs to the family of Mustelidae.
The native habitat of the wolverine is the forest of North America and the Northern part of Canada. These creatures tend to live in segregation and they survive through scavenging.
The large paws and short legs enable them to move smoothly in snow areas. The fur tends to be black to dark brown in color and oily.
Main Differences between Wolf and Wolverine
- Wolf tend to live in packs while wolverine tend to live in segregation
- Wolf hunt by chasing the prey whereas wolverines tend to feed on leftovers
- Wolf run faster than wolverine
- Wolf has a long body structure while wolverine has a stockier body
- Wolf is mainly found in forest areas while wolverine is found in cold areas
- Wolf do not attack each other in the pack while wolverine tend to attack each other for space
- The gestation period for a female wolf is about 62-75 days while that of the female wolverine is about 30-50 days
- Wolf gives birth to about 5-6 pups while wolverine gives birth to about 2-3 pups.
- Wolf belongs to Canidae family while wolverine belongs to Mustelidae family
- Wolf live in North America, North Africa, and Eurasia while wolverines live in isolated regions like Alaska, Scandinavia, Siberia, and Mongolia
You Can Also Read: Differences between Complete and Incomplete Metamorphosis
Similarities between Wolf and Wolverine
- Both are carnivorous mammals
- Both have the largest family
- Both have fur all over their bodies
- Both live in cold areas
Read More: Difference between Opossum and Possum
Wolf Vs Wolverine FAQs
Can a Wolverine Kill a Wolf?
Not Really. Wolves are the only animals that tend to kill wolverines. Keep in mind wolverine tends to scavenge on wolf kills and this increases the risk of being attacked.
Do Wolves Eat Wolverines?
Absolutely. Wolves are among the carnivores that kill wolverines apart from bears. Wolves have sharp claws that can hunt down a wolverine.
Why are Wolverines So Aggressive?
Wolverine has a lot of strength. Besides that, they are violent creatures. They normally attack each other for space. Keep in mind that they are also aggressive when they are hungry.
Who Would Win Wolf or Wolverine?
All votes go to wolverine. These creatures have the strength and power to suffocate the prey. Keep in mind that wolverine cannot kill a gray wolf since it is larger in size.
The core difference between wolverine and wolf is that wolverine is weasel whereas wolves are canid. Both are carnivorous and they belong to the largest families.
More Sources and References
Eurasian wolf. Wikimedia
Wolverine in Sweden. Wikimedia