There are various dog breeds that are easily confused with one another. Some of the breeds that are often confused are the malamute and husky.
They appear similar and share various characteristics hence people use their names interchangeably without knowing exactly the difference between the two.
They are both recognized by the American Kennel Club. They both look like wolves but their personality and purpose are completely different.
So, what is the main difference between Alaskan malamute and Siberian husky? Alaskan malamute originated from Alaska while Siberian husky originated from Siberia.
This article is going to give you the differences between Alaskan malamute and Siberian husky in tabular form and you will also get to learn about the similarities.
You May Also Like: Difference between American and English Bulldogs
Comparison Table (Alaskan Malamute vs. Siberian Husky)
|Basic Term||Alaskan Malamute||Siberian Husky|
|Origin||It originated from Alaska.||It originated from Siberia.|
|Behavior||It enjoys spending time with humans.||It is much more independent.|
|Healthy||They tend to have more health problems hence a short life span.||They do not have a lot of health problems hence a long lifespan.|
|Loyalty||They are loyal to the owners.||They are loyal to their own packs|
|Size||They are bigger and heavier dogs.||They are lighter and faster dogs.|
|Social||They prefer living with human beings.||They prefer living with other dogs.|
|Intelligence||It is less intelligent.||It is more intelligent and cunning.|
|Heads||They have a little bit bigger heads.||Their heads are smaller in size.|
|Ears||Their ears are not close together.||Their ears are tighter and close together.|
|Eyes||They have brown eyes.||They have dazzling blue eyes.|
What is Alaskan Malamute?
It is a dog breed that originated from Alaska. It was essential for the survival of many people which include the Mahlemut tribe.
They lived with mahlemut tribe as a family. They hunted, carried packs, and pulled sleds. They are very aggressive hence they require an outdoor lifestyle.
They are friendly even to strangers. They will maintain their puppy-like nature. They only tolerate humans but they are not friendly to other dogs in fact they can charge towards the same sex.
Its color ranges from black, light gray to red. The underbelly is always white in color with markings on their faces and legs.
They shed their coat twice a year during the spring season hence during this time they need a lot of grooming.
Their lifespan is short as they are susceptible to various diseases making their lifespan to be short as compared to other breeds.
What is Siberian Husky?
It is a breed that originated from Siberia. It was bred by people in Siberia as a means of transportation to follow the scarce food sources.
They enjoy an outdoor lifestyle as they are very active. They are friendly to all humans, stubborn and intelligent dogs.
They are not loyal. They are independent thinkers and they are quite contented to spend time without humans.
Males are taller and heavier while females are a little bit shorter and lighter. They have a dense double coats and they shed twice a year hence they need a lot of grooming during this time.
Their color coat ranges from black, red, grey, sable, white, and agouti. They have a lot of energy hence they require a lot of mental and physical stimulation.
You May Also Like: Difference between Dog and Cat
Main Differences between Alaskan Malamute and Siberian Husky
- Alaskan malamute is bigger and heavier dogs while Siberian husky is lighter and faster dogs.
- Alaskan malamute has brown eyes while Siberian husky has dazzling blue eyes.
- Alaskan malamute has ears that are not close together while Siberian huskys have ears that are tighter and close together.
- Alaskan malamute prefers living with humans while Siberian husky prefers living with other dogs.
- Alaskan malamute has bigger heads while Siberian husky has smaller heads.
- Alaska malamute is less intelligent while Siberian husky is more intelligent and cunning.
- Alaska malamute is loyal to the owner while Siberian husky is not loyal to the owner.
- Alaska malamute tends to have more health problems hence short lifespan while Siberian husky tend to have few health problems hence longer lifespan.
Similarities between Alaskan Malamute and Siberian Husky
- They both originated from Arctic areas.
- Both have a double coats.
- They both pull sleds.
- Both have plenty of fur between their toes.
- Both shed twice a year.
- Both have high energy levels hence need a lot of exercises.
- They both have high prey drives hence cannot be kept together with other pets.
- They are both friendly.
The Alaskan malamute and Siberian husky are dog breeds that originated from arctic areas. The areas had harsh climates hence the dog breeds were to have some adaptations that could enable them to survive in those areas.
The two are commonly confused but they are different from each other. Alaskan malamute is comparatively larger and heavier while Siberian husky is the lighter and faster dog.
More Sources and References: